[pct-l] Attention Thrulys - passports to re-enter the US

I would not rely on a driver's license as border crossing ID. Because some
states (Oregon, for example) hand them out like candy to "undocumented"
aliens and identity theives, legislation is working its way through congress
to ban use of such licenses as federal ID documents.

I would really suggest that, in this day and age, anyone who travels should
have a passport.  Understand that "borders" are not just lines on a map, but
regions surrounding these lines in which Border Patrol operates.  The law
relating to borders differs somewhat from what you expect in other parts of
the country because Border Patrol is often dealing with non-citizens on US
soil illegally. The constitutional rights of unidentifiable people near
border crossings consist mainly of the right to be promptly arrested and
deported without death or serious injury.  You do not want to be mistaken
for an undocumented alien under these circumstances. Production of your
valid US Passport along our borders will simply terminate a lot of
unnecessary arguments and unpleasant encounters. Later this year I am
planning to hike from Mt. Laguna to Campo, where I understand Border Patrol
is active, and I will not go there afoot and apparently homeless without my
passport.

I have not kept up with developments relating to travel documents in the
European Union, but I can tell you that in 2000 my passport was carefully
examined and stamped by British customs at Gatwick when I entered UK  and by
some official before I was allowed on a US bound plane at DeGaulle Airport
in Paris. I do not recall if my passport was examined when I crossed from UK
into France. I can tell you that I definitely would NOT want to try
travelling around Europe immediately after a terrorist attack, such as the
Madrid railway bombing, without a passport.

If you have a passport, be careful with it.  US passports are valuable
commodities in many places. Don't leave yours in your car at the trail head.
Even thirty years ago I was offered money in Amsterdam for my US passport.
I am aware of a US passport that was stolen in  a burglary in New Jersey and
confiscated 36 hours later, altered and in the possession of a citizen of
Thailand attempting to enter the US illegally.

Wayne Kraft