[pct-l] re: V V R

My stay there in '04 was pleasant enough I did not notice any hiker box items
on the shelves but a box in the hiker tent was accessable to all. I expect to
pay higher prices along the trail esp. in places that are remote. I took
advantage of the FREE night in the tent drank alot of beer ate four huge meals
schmoozed with the anglers and tourists and spent about $140.00 including a
generous gratuity for the staff. (not bad) On the ferry back we compared costs and
mine was average.  My theory about vendors and staff persons in general when
dealing with hikers is  one of mistrust, vendors sometimes think that hikers
are try to get over on them (and a few do) and hikers think that vendors
sometimes get over on them (and a few do). Once when renting a motel room with two
other hikers we were being refused a non-smoking room because one hiker was
outside the office smoking. The clerk said to me gruffly "He with you" when I said
yes he replied "no non smoker for you" only when I garanteed him that the
smoker would not do so in the room did he allow us the room for $90.00 a night.
Does anyone think that  drive-up persons would be treated the same way? When
asked by non-hikers or wannabes what to bring on hiking trips my first response
is "Plenty of cash and a clean credit card. Just my .02.-------------EZ