[pct-l] V V R

I was there in ' 04 . I had gone out of the Sierra down to Fresno and then returned up via Mono Hot Springs and hiked from there up to V V R . I was a little on my guard with the mid-forty's woman running things ( it seemed ) . . . when I got there . She seemed too intent on my opening an ' account ' versus paying for things as I went . A little too ' breezy ' , maybe . Anyway , I was on my guard some with her . The food was good - even very good and there was plenty . The chef was friendly especially to most folks . I wasn ' t told about the free hiker tent ( one night of ) ;  I rented a tent for $50 for the first night . Coming up from Mono Hot Springs as I did they / she may not have realized I was a through hiker but I later wondered about it when I learned what was what . The owner wasn ' t there . He came later and I liked him a great deal . Is honest it seems and straight forward . Can ' t remember his name - very approachable ; were he to know this ' forum ' was in progress I
 bet he would chip in and defend his camp heartily . Yes , as someone said , he is in business and must haul a lot of stuff in from a long way off and he has a short season . It is a lovely large lake and I am into water . Lovely elevated spot they have as well . Much fishing . Too , the campground is right next door if one really doesn ' t like it ; folks stayed there and then came over and ate at V V R . I did get a free beer as promised without asking / knowing , really , as I had forgot such from the guide book ; and a free shower , etc . Seemed there was / is a program to GIVE-ATTRACT ( to ) the PCT hikers . . . when he - the ( semi new ) owner , is there probably it is more wholeheartedly proffered . I would definitely recommend going in there . It breaks up a long , long trek and the lake - can ' t think of it - just before doesn ' t really want / offer anything for you / us .Ferry service was fine and nice longish pontoon boat ride and view of the lake amd Vermillion Valley -
 Cliffs , I think at the upper end of the lake ( East ) ( Maybe , correct me someone on cliffs . . . ? )
    Rafter Jack