[pct-l] VVR.... my first words

In 2003 everything was fine. In fact, VVR was one of my favorite stops.  Prices were not that high for the location. Moreover, because you pay on a tab, rather than as you go, the final bill can look very steep as it hits you all at once.  I racked up a bill of about $120 for my stay (early boat in, early boat out), which included three full meals (2 double breakasts, dinner), snacks (must have afternoon pie and coffee), a bottle of wine, transit on the boat, a shower, laundry (split with three others), and picking up a package.

In South Lake Tahoe (another great stop), I spent $25 for a room (split with another hiker), $30 at Caesars for the buffet and a beer in the bar, $15 on breakfast and coffee at Harvey's, and $30 in assorted snacks, wine, and beer.  So, in SLT I ran up a bill of $100, which isn't that far off from the VVR bill.

The staff at VVR were universally friendly and helpful. There was no weird vibe, no inter-staff arguments in the public view, and the place was definitely geared toward hikers.  Roy, the chef, was one of the best on the PCT corridor. The kitchen was clean and nice and Roy even scrounged up some fresh supplies for one of my friends directly out of the kitchen.  I noticed no one complaining of the runs or other stomach ailments.

I came into VVR rather run down after 9 hard days from Kennedy Meadows, including the walk up of Whitney.  I was tired enough that Glory and chose to wait at Lake Edison for the 2 hours before the boat came rather than walking to get to food faster.  When I left, I felt strong and ready to make the final run into Tuolumne.

Now, not everyone has such a pleasant experience as the emails indicate.  However, branding VVR as a place to be avoided based on a few opinions is not really all that swift.  Experiences might vary over time, but I would have absolutely no qualms about going there again.  The only thing that I might do different is to not send myself a resupply box there. Instead, I'd just buy out of the campstore what I needed to get to Reds Meadow.  Even if there isn't much to buy, it is only a little over a day to Reds.  In the last resort, one could load up on a big time breakfast and buy a sandwich or two from the restaurant.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett