[pct-l] Entry back into the USA via the trail Southbound

On Apr 4, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Ryan Christensen wrote:
> I re-read the original post and came to the conclusion that the post
> was not off topic.

The original post was on topic. I was talking about the reply...

> A perfect illustration of why the government shouldn't be allowed to
> have weapons.

Has nothing at all to do with the PCT. Some people would call
it a "troll".  I was stupid enough to point out that it was off-topic
thus feeding the troll resulting in me being called "too sensitive"
among other things in private email that I won't share.
Also, my sensibilities "have been shaken" even though I neither
said nor implied any such thing. I did not even state if I was in
agreement or not with the off-topic reply.

There are lots off-topic posts on PCT-L (and PCT-L is *much* better
than other lists that I have been a part of).  From time to time I
point it out because I think it is important to stay on topic
and in particular I think it is important to avoid injecting
irrelevant political discussions into discussion groups.
Yes, I probably point it out more often when I disagree with the
off-topic
statement but that doesn't negate my point.

> I like to think of the PCT-L as a bunch of us gathered together around
> a virtual campfire, sharing wisdom and swapping stories, and the common
> thing that brings us together is the Pacific Crest Trail.

But that is not what mailing lists in general or this list in particular
are about. I have had tons of discussions on many topics around the
campfire
or along the trail (just in the past week).  They would mostly be
completely
inappropriate and off-topic on PCT-L which is for discussions *about*
the
PCT and not simply an open forum for PCT-aware people.

I'll be happy to banter back and forth on this topic in private email
but
I'll refrain from any additional postings to PCT-L in this thread.

Radar