[pct-l] First PCT Thru-hiker/Eric Ryback

I just got back from the local library where I found an old book, published in 1971, by Eric Ryback titled The High Adventure of Eric Ryback, Canada to Mexaco on foot. He claimed to be the first PCT Thru- Hiker. I just started the book. He left from Manning Park going South on June 10, 1970 carrying 80 pounds in an external frame pack. He did not have an ice AX or crampons even though he estimated the snow at 8 feet. On his first day he slipped while crossing an ice field. He slid about 300 ft toward some boulders and the only thing that saved him was the poles of his external pack digging into the snow.

Is there a record of thru-hikers who have completed the PCT? Does anyone know if Eric Ryback was the first thru- hiker to complete the PCT. According to his book he did complete it. He also says he hiked the AT at the age of 17 in 1969. He also hiked the CD trail in 1972 and wrote a book entitled The Ultimate Journey, Canada to Mexico Down the Continental Divide.  Has anyone heard about him? He would be about 53 years old now. Is he still out hiking? What ever became of him? I would guess that he settled down and had a family and got a job, but who knows.

Just wondering. I will be reading his book. It seems like a good read.

Happy Hiking, Reindeer

By the way, thanks for the feedback on the DSMO. Also in reply to other questions about stoves, I have a brasslight alcohol stove and it is light. It has a built in pot stand but is prone to tipping over. I am still using it but am always looking for something lighter and/or better.

Also, I use the Katdyn Hiker filter and am satisfied with it.

Thanks Yogi for the info on Tyvek Ground sheets. I ordered some from mechanic_mike and received it in the mail about a week later.

Thanks also for the info on updates to the PCT guides. I printed the updates that I will be using this year.

Reindeer