[pct-l] Aqua Mira

yep, I've always noticed the smell and tast of aquamira water.

Give me a Katadyn Hiker Filter any day!!!

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Brett <blisterfree@isp01.net> wrote:
Can anyone who's used the water treatment Aqua Mira during
an extended hike comment on whether or not it is normal to
detect an odor and taste when treating water at the standard
7 drop dosage?

I just did a try-out here in the kitchen, using filtered tap
water, and following the A.M. directions to the letter.
Normally my filtered tap has no discernable flavor or odor.
However the Aqua Mira-treated filtered tap, even given
several hours from the time of treatment, still has a very
noticeable smell of chlorine. It's rather like the pungency
of walking into the pool area at the local YMCA. And the
taste, although not of chlorine per se, has a certain edge
to it. And of course, taste and smell are closely linked, so
perhaps the odor is having an influence on my overall
enjoyment of the treated beverage.

I recognize that the product claims to contain no "free
chlorine." Might it be possible, however, that the chlorine
dioxide is not breaking down properly in this particular
test, perhaps as a result of the water already being largely
free of "stuff" to oxidize (or whatever the heck actually
happens)? Or is the odor I'm detecting an unheralded reality
of using the product?

Granted, as a long-distance hiker, for better or worse my
sense of smell "goes to 11." But then, who needs the
so-stated health benefits of Aqua Mira (over iodine) more
than someone who has to treat a lot of water over a long
period of time?

- blisterfree