[pct-l] WA Detour Info.

The Glacier Peak Detour was covered in the pct-l January 2005 archives. This
link is
sorted by subject, look for "Glacier Peak Bypass".
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2005-January/subject.html

^^
http://www.phlumf.com/pct/pctalt.htm   Jonathan Ley's description of his
route.
^^
Here's one hikers notes:
In August, to be exact August 12 I started from Stehekin Southbound. The
first night I spent somewhere on Miners Creek after Suiattle Pass. That was
where some critters stole one of my insole of my New Balance! Next day I
carried on via Buck Creek Pass up to High Pass. All this was very easy with
only a minor snow field just before High Pass. Buck Creek Pass had lots of
people, though nicely spread out. It is a lovely place to camp with water
(and bears). The views between Buck Creek Pass and High Pass are
overwhelming. The first part of the decent from High Pass is easy mostly
down meadows, though the trail is not always visible. The map printout and
a compass does help. I also had a GPS which makes it even easier. The last
part is rather steep through bushes though clear but very dusty. During wet
weather this could be a bit of a mess but not dangerous and only about a
mile long. Fog or clouds could be a problem too. The trail as shown on the
map at the steep part just before joining Napeequa River is not correct
anymore. The trail is on the right side of the river (looking in the flow
direction). At least on this side a trail is cut into the brush. Walking
down along the Napeequa is brushy but not too bad. The turn off to Boulder
Pass was easy to find though the fording was a bit more difficult as told
by earlier hikers. This was probably due to the very hot weather and that I
crossed mid afternoon. Still the river ground is very level and one just
has to be careful. Make sure you open all your waist and chest belts!
The climb up Boulder Pass was fine, a bit rougher than usual PCT trail. The
whole detour anyway compares more with the AT. After Boulder Pass I walked
down to the first small stream coming out of a snow field and enjoyed a
lovely quiet night with a small fire.
The descent down to White River was easy and I came across some more Bear
Hunters. I also almost stumbled over a trail crew still asleep all over the
place. Obviously there were no mosquitoes around, otherwise they would not
have slept outside in their sleeping bags. Since I was very much advised
against the White River (northern) route (very brushy, difficult to find
trail), I descended down to Indian Creek. The walk up Indian Creek was
rather brushy and an uphill battle, also very hot and water access not
always easy.
Depending on the water level one could easily ford the White River just
before it is joined by the Indian Creek. For Northbound hikers this would
be very easy to locate. Before you cross the Indian Creek (bridge), find a
suitable fording point and cut across. The trail on the other side of White
River is not far from the river bank. This cuts out approx. 2 miles though
easy walk. There are no facilities down at the trail head, however there is
a proper bridge.
The next night I spent at lovely Sally-Ann lake. It was Saturday night and
the place was rather busy. Luckily I did not even have to cook since my
neighbors had some nice and tasty left over food!
Most people may take it a bit slower and make it in 5 days between Stevens
Pass (where I stayed with Jerry & Andrea) and Stehekin, but 4 days is
doable as well. I really enjoyed the detour as being one of the more scenic
parts of WA/OR.
Happy Trail
Adrian alias Matterhorn AT01, WA-OR 04