[pct-l] Sierra Snow Entry Prediction

Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:

 > As it is now, is this year any worse than '95, '98 or some of the earlier
 > years?
 >
 > Sly

Upper Tyndall Creek has 37" of snow water content right now and in 1998 on this
  date it had 42" so we're somewhat below '98 levels. We are way below 1982-83
levels (which is what CDEC is calling "wet") which registered 52" of snow water
content on the 23rd of March.

If you're interested, here's the URL:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?s=uty&d=23-Mar-1998+05:41

Just plug in different dates instead of "23-Mar-1998" (be sure to keep the
format exact, etc.)

Upper Tyndall is just south of Forester.

--Steve

Oh, heck, while I'm at it, here are some numbers to go with Greg's qualitative
assessement:

At Crabtree meadow, the measurement was 67" of snow on the 19th , now it's 97"
and increasing. At Tuolumne Meadows, it got down to 67" on the 19th, now it's up
to over 100" and increasing.

The storm that's hitting the SF Bay Area is predicted to continue for several
more days. The prediction for the Sierras last evening was "several feet of
snow" for just last night and more in the days ahead.

On the other hand, the snowfall in the Sierras this entire season has been
decidedly not uniform--some areas like Tahoe have gotten tons while others like
Tuolumne Meadows have gotten significantly less (but still a lot). So when you
hear "lots of snow" or "lots of snow predicted" you have to be careful not to
automatically assume that it's all going to land on the PCT.

--Steve