[pct-l] RE: Dangers on The Trail

I have been reading all the posts about the various dangers on the trail and
all I know is when I start a hike I think to myself, "Thank God I made it to
the trailhead--I'm safe now."

I mean, think of all the things that could happen to a person as they are
sitting in their easy chair at home with an oilcan in front of the tv: your
house could explode or burn down from a gas leak or faulty wiring; a bad
driver could miss a turn and come crashing through your wall and flatten you
and your tv; a burglar could break in and hit you on the head with a
baseball bat; you could trip and roll down the stairs like a stunt man in a
bad movie; a tornado could send you and your house flying up over the
rainbow (we actually had a tornado in Sacramento on Feb 21st--I know because
I took a picture of it!); or a meteor could fall through your roof and
squash you like that giant foot from Monte Python.

I mention that last one because I recently watched a show on the Discovery
Channel about meteors in which they stated that there was a slight chance of
this happening to a person.  I suppose a person could get hit by a meteor
while on the trail, but at least they would be a moving target part of the
time.

And of course, we all know that the most dangerous thing any person can do
is get in a car and drive it down the street.  I believe at least 30,000
people die each year from traffic related incidents in this country.

It seems to me that there is a greater chance of having a near death
experience in your own house or driving to the trailhead than there is from
hiking related activities.

John Coyle
Sacramento