[pct-l] Mt. Whitney permit

Hi Marzipan

Whitney???????  The view!!!

My experience?  A last minute permit is possible but not reliable.  You
would need to go into Lone Pine to the ranger station(South end of town
directly across the street from the Mt. Mural), or call ahead for
requirements and availability to the US Dept. of Forestry, Lone Pine.  When
they open (at 8am?) first in line might be able to cash in on a
cancellation..... maybe.  Sundays are better than Friday or Saturday.
There's a very good chance you won't get one.  Hiking up from the East side
through Whitney Portal, you'll see the ranger.  They ask for permits.

>From the West?  Last year I didn't expect I'd take an extra day to climb
from the West.  No permit.  A ranger appeared at the top later in the day.
He looked really familiar.  He was asking for permits.  He came to me and
Rev. Gizmo and asked, "Are you guys thru-hikers?".  We talked for a
while.......that was all.  Didn't ask for our permits.  I don't know what
policy really is.

A mile down from there I placed why the guy seemed familiar.  I knew him
from a circle of friends in Escondido, CA. His name tag fit, but I didn't
get past the sunglasses.  I also was exausted and maybe a little altitude
sick from a rushed 30 the day before. A year before he told me about this
ranger job he was offered in Lone Pine.  He asked what I thought.

Did he recognize me?  Dirty, smelly, unshaven, glasses???

A mile down and sick?  Maybe next time Dan.

One more thing.  The ranger station down near Crabtree has great places to
camp and is not staffed until July First or so.  The only possible ranger
encounters before that time are from Whitney Saddle up.

$15??  Good cause.  Call US Forestry in Lone Pine for requirements.

Lots of words

Warner Springs Monty

haven't firmly decided to climb the mountain yet and would rather wait, but
it's on the little PCTA permit dealie.  Is there a way to buy the Whitney
permit closer to the mountain itself, when we have a better idea about
whether or not we want to hike it?