[pct-l] water filter/purifier?

David Tibor wrote:

I would not think about bringing a water filter along
on a PCT thru-hike. Aqua Mira's the only thing for me
- tiny bottles, very effective, treat lots of water
quickly, etc.

On the other hand, assuming your goal is to thru-hike the trail in one
season, you have to judge the cost of carrying the weight of a filter
against the cost of possibly getting sick from bad water and decide
which is a bigger threat to completing your hike.

In the Northwest I often don't bother to treat my water at all if I'm up
high and feel good about the water source, so I don't have some
squeamish hangup.  However, I understand that water sources in SoCal can
be awfully nasty and for some of them I would personally want to both
filter and treat with chemicals.  (I haven't seen them personally, yet.)

Regardless, there are many different strategies and they all work for
most people, so hike your own hike.

Eric