[pct-l] Re: Crampons and Ice Axe Testing, Playing, Etc.

There are some decent slopes in Lassen NP, which are
right off the road that goes up to the summitt (the
road may not be completely cleared).  I've done this
around June, which will be too late for you if you're
doing a thru-hike this year.  It's still a bit early
in the season to try non-ridge routes up Mt. Shasta
(the "dog" route, Avalanche Gulch, is aptly named
until later in the season).  I would not recommend the
northern or eastern routes, or the southern ridge
routes to a new mountaineer.

My recommendation is that you practice on the first
gentle slope you find on the PCT.  This might be on
San Jacinto, or barring that, it could be as late as
Forrester Pass.  The axe is a safety tool for
unexpected falls, or for assisting a planned descent
(a glissade, in other words).  The snow wasn't bad in
2002, but I can't recall any spots before the Sierras
where the thought of using an axe even entered my
mind.  There's a great glissade on the back side of
Forrester Pass.  Depending on what time of day you're
there, the snow could be soft (doesn't teach you much
about the arresting powers of the axe), or very firm
(use the axe frequently enough during your glissade
that you don't attain a dangerous velocity).

Iron Chef