[pct-l] stoveless hiking

To a couple of folks who have posted questions recently about stoveless hiking, I posted this to the list a few weeks ago... my own experience, for what it's worth.

>While it wasn't a thru-hike, I hiked the first 400 or so miles north from the border in 1998 with >no stove, no pot & ate non-cooked foods.  I ate lots of tuna (before the foil packets), jerky, >tortillas w/ peanut butter & honey, nuts, dried fruit, cookies, crackers, candy, etc.  Not very >healthy, and while I don't remember losing a ton of weight (I don't have a tremendous amount >to lose in the first place), I DO remember my energy level being extremely low at times.  At >the time I attributed this to the desert heat, but I believe now it was due to poor nutrition.

I can definitely apprecite the desire to get your gear as simplified as possible (which is why I tried this in the first place).  If you want to do it this way, there are probably much more nutritious food choices out there that would help.

But with a simple lightweight system: an alcohol stove, mini Ti or Al pot, a lexan spoon, and some HEET in a soda bottle, why not just carry it?  Your meals will be more satisfying & you'll probably have enough increase in energy to deal with the few extra ounces.

HYOH,

Ajax