From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Aaron Doss
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 10:58 AM
To: Brian Weber; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [BULK] - RE: [pct-l] Is a groundcloth really necessary?

I think using a ground cloth will save the bottom of your tent.
However, in my opinion, the typical oem footprints are way too thick and
heavy.  I use a 1 mil or .75 mil plastic painters ground tarp (available
at any hardware or painting supply store for a dollar or two) They pack
smaller and weight only a few ounces.  Cut the plastic to the correct
size for your tent, you will typically be able to make several of them
per roll.  They will wear out after about 50 uses, just mail yourself a
new one.  I have used them for years and the bottoms of my tents look
brand new.  To me it's worth the extra 2-3 ounces.

Aaron