From: <dsaufley@sprynet.com>
<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>; <info@pcta.org>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 9:56 AM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] trail permit

> I am copying the PCTA for clarification . . . I do not believe that what
it states on the PCT permit suffices as a fire permit for the state of
California, despite the vague reference to it.  And, I don't think camp
fires are really the concern, since thru-hikers rarely have camp fires.
Alcohol stoves are a much bigger risk.

> It's really scary that there is so little understanding of what is
required, and from there you can derive that there is little understanding
of what the rules and regulations are, especially in re alcohol stoves.

> While all is lush, green, and very wet right now, I've lived here for 47
years, and know that the rain can turn off like a faucet, the heat to come
on like and oven, and one good, strong Santa Ana is all it takes to turn it
all to tinder.  Green years can mean very bad fire seasons.