[pct-l] Fuller Ridge / San Jacinto

Keeping in mind that I'm not trying to be antagonistic -----

San Jacinto and Fuller Ridge could feasibly be covered with snow for
the 2005 thru-hikers.  Prior to 2003, we heard similar snow predictions
for this area.  At the Kickoff, we were told that Fuller Ridge was impassible.
When we went into Idyllwild (via Pines-to-Palms highway -- before gaining
elevation), we were told that Fuller Ridge was impassible.  Everyone went
forward anyway.  Fuller Ridge was covered with snow.  We occasionally
lost the trail.  The people who went up San Jacinto had a tough time.

I skipped San Jacinto in 2003 and stayed on the PCT (for those of you
who don't know, San Jacinto is a side trail off the PCT).  Yes the PCT
was snow-covered.  Yes it was often ice-covered.  But I made a conscious
attempt to notice the terrain, and I don't recall any place where an ice axe
would have helped in the event of a fall.  Fuller Ridge isn't like the Sierra
with drops of several hundred feet from the trail if you fell.  From what I
remember, the fall out would have been about 20-40 feet before hitting trees.
I can't imagine having time to self-arrest in a 20-40 feet fall.  In fact,
Gottago and I were consciously looking for long fallouts so we could
glissade!!!  We only found short glissades.

That said, what good would an ice axe be for this section?
Go ahead and hit me, I'm ready for the blow!!!

As an aside, in 2001 and 2002, Fuller Ridge had NO SNOW and was one
of the hottest waterless sections of SoCal (except for the Mojave).

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Bighummel@aol.com wrote:

Yogi writes:

"Pick them up at Kennedy Meadows and send them home from either Echo
Lake/South
Lake Tahoe or Sierra City."

You might also need an ice axe from about Anza to Cabezon depending upon ice
and snow conditions in the San Jacintos this Spring. You might also need
one in the San Gabriels, depending upon conditions again. Stay flexible and
consider bouncing your ice axe before the Sierra also.

YMMV,

Greg