[pct-l] oregon coast trail.

> I know this is the PCT-L, not the OCT-L...

Hmmm, I wonder if there *is* an OCT-L. Well, anyhow, I'll share my
experiences:

> What's the weather like there in July and August?
> Sunshine, chances of rain, overcast?

Yes. ;-) Generally, the weather will be ok, but expect rain. It *is* the
Oregon Coast, after all. Actually, I love cooler weather in the summer,
especially when hiking. My recommendation is September. It is usually dry,
and read on for more reasons:

> Is there an official guide to the trail (like the two

There really really is not a "complete" guide, yet. But, to toot my own
horn, I have written an almost-complete" guide, which is being added on
to as time goes on. The guide does cover the entire trail, with pictures and
text, but it is very thin in some areas. The sale of this guide supports
my future hikes, and the fleshing out of the guide. Can be had at:
http://www.kenneke.com/oct.html

(Yes, blatant self promotion...)

> Any considerations to think about for thru-hiking the
> whole thing? River crossings, camping, water,
> resupply?

River crossings can be very wet, and hairy in the wetter times of the
year. So, that is why I recommend September. All river crossings I have
had to do that at that time of the year have been quite easy. Of course,
you have to walk around (or get a boat ride) the big rivers and bays, no
matter what time of year. ;-)

Resupply is easy since there are towns all along the way. Post Offices,
too. You could even get by through hiking, and only have to stay in a tent
a night or two. You really can almost credit card hike this trail. See my
guide for more information on that.

Camping is permitted on most areas of the trail (beaches, etc), except
within 1/4 mile of some towns and state campgrounds.

September is also a good time to go because there is less people,
especially after school starts.

We are planning on hiking another large section of the trail near the end
of August. (I'd like to go in Sept, but my partner is a school teacher)

One odd thing about the OCT is everyone uses their "real" name. So....

Cheers,

Jon