[pct-l] shoe recommendations

The dreaded choice of shoes!! What to do?? How to pick a good one??

>From the research I've done on shoes, you really have to try on a bunch of them before making the investment unless you already know exactly what you want (kinda like cars).

Every shoe manufacturer uses a "last" for forming their shoes.  A last is a standard mold of a foot. There are certain standards for size, but manufacturers often have varying shapes of lasts (higher/lower arch, wider/narrower at the toe, etc...) just as many different people have many different shapes of feet. Ideally, we have to find the shoe that best matches our feet. If we find that brand of shoe, then it would be beneficial to stick with it. When trying on shoes, I always consider the space consumed by my thick wool socks and gel insoles. The right shoe will fit... they can't be roomy or tight, they have to be on-the-money for the best foot health. Ideally, when in doubt, go a half-size bigger than expected, but no more. Too much play in your boot will cause blisters.

On top of that, considering this is a community of long-distance hikers, durability, comfort, and weight are key factors as well. I bought a pair of Vasque mid's on clearance (can't recall what style) and have been quite pleased. They are quite durable, and are comfortable for distance hikes. In fact, the only time they are somewhat uncomfortable is when I'm walking on hard pavement. They are bullet-proof, breathable, water-resistant (not water-tight, I can't ford deep puddles), and not too heavy for a sturdy hiking boot.

Also, just as feet swell in heat, fabrics give way too. With a softer shoe (e.g. trail runners, tennis shoes, basketball shoes), I find myself tightening down the laces more as the day wears on, especially if the activity is strenuous (such as tennis or basketball). I haven't had that trouble with my Vasque mids, most likely because the materials used are much more durable.

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!