[pct-l] Urushiol myths according to zanfel.com

Interesting.

> Myths versus Facts
>

> Myth: Scratching poison ivy blisters will spread the rash.
> Fact: The fluid in the blisters will not spread the rash.
> Before blisters
> form, the rash can only be spread by unbound urushiol.
> Avoid scratching of
> blisters. Fingernails may carry bacteria that could cause
> an infection.

The above "fact" is almost as well known as the "myth." Lots
of folks swear the myth is more accurate, though. This is
usually because the rash often seems to spread along the
weep lines. One has to wonder if the weeping fluid -
actually our own - nevertheless is able to carry unbound
urushiol from an initial point of contact into new areas.

> Myth: Poison ivy rash is "contagious."
> Fact: The rash is a reaction to urushiol. The rash cannot
> pass from person
> to person after the urushiol binds.

But it *could* be spread before the urushiol binds, which on
human skin is, what, about 20 minutes? Or indefinitely, if
on clothing or gear that is shared. So it would indeed seemt
o be "contagious" in the sense that those who come in
contact with the plant do theoretically become "carriers"
for a time.

> Myth: After the first time, I can't get poison ivy again.
> Fact: Although not everyone reacts to poison ivy upon
> first or subsequent
> exposures, people generally become more sensitized with
> each contact and may
> react more severely to subsequent exposures. In addition,
> the reaction may
> last longer.

I don't doubt this at all, and my experience seems to verify
it. However, it does conflict with the point below about
decreasing sensitivity over the course of years. And since
neither effect "A" (above) or "B" below are 100% certain,
it's basically a crap shoot. We can't predict what will
happen. We can only EXPERIENCE!

> Myth: Once allergic, always allergic to poison ivy.
> Fact: A person's sensitivity changes over time, even from
> season to season.
> People who were sensitive to poison ivy as children may
> not be allergic as
> adults.
>

> Myth: Dead poison ivy plants are no longer toxic.
> Fact: Urushiol remains active for up to five years. Never
> handle dead plants
> that look like poison ivy without proper protection.

The original eco-terrorists.

- blisterfree