 From dsaufley at sprynet.com  Wed Mar  2 22:28:47 2005
From: dsaufley at sprynet.com (dsaufley@sprynet.com)
Date: Wed Mar  2 22:40:31 2005
Subject: [pct-l] The Twin Hershey Bars

We've hosted a few dedicated raw fooders.  The Boutenkos, a Russian family hiking with three children, wound up staying with us for a week when big storms hit in '98.  They taught us about raw foodism, and we ate "their" way for the week they were with us.  It was extremely interesting.  They also gathered greens along the way.  We live in a salad bowl, I came to learn.  It certainly helped that it was a wet year and there was abundant tender growth for them (it isn't the case every year).

The grains you mention are soaked, achieving the same end but of course taking longer than cooking.  They told me that nuts, once soaked overnight, are significantly more nutritious than nuts eaten raw.  Great source of calories and protein.

One of their staples was actually quite delicious and hearty.  They mixed oats, chopped fresh greens such as miner's lettuce, added water, and seasoned with granulated kelp.  I would have sworn it was tuna salad.  Anyway, they weren't hurting for calories in the slightest.

-=Donna Saufley=-