[pct-l] How to get started?

I'm working up a plan now with some buddies to do a good chunk of the JMT this June. I can only take off a week, so it looks like a thru-hike is out of the question.

I need some advice on planning.

If I were to start in Yosemite at half-dome (not sure whether to climb or by-pass) on a Sunday, given that conditions were "normal" (no rain and no injuries) and I wanted to come out on the following Saturday, where might I emerge?

My estimates after looking at maps tell me that if I'm averaging about 12-15 miles a day (not too unreasonable for an out-of-shape hiker like myself) I could probably make Convict lake by Saturday if I can keep a good pace going. Does that sound reasonable to you crusty old thru-hikers who probably know better?

And assuming that I can make it to some place like Convict Lake after a week, I'm curious as to how transportation would work. I'm sure that out of our group, we could fit into one car and take two (from so-Cal), leave one at Convict, and park the other at Yosemite. Is it safe to leave a car there for a week, or should I try to arrange for a ride?