[pct-l] Etna Summit

Just thought I would share a bit about the current conditions up above Etna.
This weekend my wife and I headed north to snowshoe south from the Etna
Summit trailhead.    We found 4-5 feet of snow with 3-4 inches of fresh
stuff left on Thursday night.  It was a glorious day for snow travel and
although we didn't make it out as far as I had hoped it was a wonderful
adventure.

On the way back to town, we saw several of the monks from the monastery out
walking and also thoroughly enjoyed a fountain drink at the Scott Valley
Drug Store's old-time fountain service.  The Etna Brewery was closed during
January, so we missed the chance to taste the local brew.

It's amazing that Etna hasn't changed much at all since my last visit in the
late 70s while growing up just east of Etna.  I would highly recommend this
stop to all the thru's this year.  It is a 9 mile hitch from the trailhead
on a narrow winding road, but surprisingly there is sufficient traffic both
ways.

Enjoy Etna!

Jeff
Hopeful member of the Class of 2006