[pct-l] Music on the trail - batteries

I am a gearhead.

I usually hike alone. I'm poor company, especially with myself.
I need something to distract me from stupid mind games.  :-)
     counting steps
     playing some 50 year old song over and over in my mind.

When I first started hiking the AT I had a single battery
AM/FM analog radio. I gave it away after 500 miles and bought a AM/FM
digital radio. After I got off the trail I bought a AM/FM/TV/Weather
radio. (Sangean DT-300DW)

About a year ago I bought the Panasonic SL-SX430 mp3 CD player
Main reason for buying this particular device

      85 hours on 2 AA  batteries
      somewhat lightweight ( 8 oz )
      make my own CD's for $0.20 each
      low cost  - about $50 at Target
      a corded remote control I could clip to my pack strap or pocket.

My advice about trail radios

      don't get a analog radio - drifting stations will drive you crazy
      get one with a automatic shutoff  ( like 90 minutes )
      get one with a lock button to keep things from changing

Mike

http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

email  --- mike_aken@hotmail.com

I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one.
                         Jack Hampson