[BULK] - [pct-l] RE: Music On The Trail

Well...yes and no. In space, both am and fm signals would be able to travel
the same distance. On a curved surface, such as the earth, that is not the
case.

FM waves can only travel as ground waves, and, therefore, the distance you
can receive an FM signal from is limit by your ability to "see" the radio
transmitter tower.  Once the tower is below your horizon, you lose the
station.

However, AM waves can "bounce" off of the ionosphere, and therefore you can
"see" them over the horizon. Even more so at night.

I found it especially cool to listen to the bumper to bumper traffic report
in the SF Bay Area on KGO (AM), while lazily getting out of bed somewhere in
the SoCal desert...about 450 miles away.. Once the sun rose, the reception
faded...

Redwood