[pct-l] 2005-ers: Lake of the Woods and Diamond Lake

Under the heading of HYOH...

For those of you contemplating the alternate route that goes by Lake of the
Woods Resort (which I did in 1990), instead of Fish Lake:

I asked about food drop possibilities for this summer at Lake of the Woods
Resort and just received this.

"We still accept and hold packages for PCT hikers at no charge, The Resort
operates 7 days per week during the Summer Season so you can pick up the
package virtually any time between 8am and 8pm. We generally hold all
packages in the managers office for safe keeping and then move them into the
general store when your arrival date approaches. I advise that you post the
approximate pick update somewhere on the package. This helps us in having it
available in the store when you arrive."

My info:

c/o Lake of the Woods Resort
950 Harriman Route
Klamath Falls, Oregon 97601
541-949-8300
866-201-4194

George Gregory, my email contact

General store,
Marina grill (8am daily M-F, breakfast & Lunch, with dinner M&T), with
restrooms, showers and laundry.
Restaurant (Weds- Fr, lunch and dinner, with breakfast on weekends, Sat
night BBQ by the lake)
Expensive cabins (2 night minimum)
Nearby CG

Some hikers still swing over to Diamond Lake Resort after Crater Lake, which
I also did in 1990.  Here, partway through Oregon, one could even send a
bounce box.  I will rejoin the PCT up Thielsen Creek.

They just emailed saying they accepted hiker packages and when I asked, "Is
your PO there was an official PO substation?  I'm wondering if, besides
receiving a package, I will be able to mail OUT a package to myself farther
up the trail," he replied, ""Yes, ours is a regular post office one may mail
out of"

Bounce box!

My info:

Diamond Lake Resort (800/733-7593)  or 541-793-3333

Rick Rockholt, my email contact

c/o Diamond Lake Resort
350 Resort Drive
Diamond Lake, Oregon 97731

Pizza place at south end of lake
Very good store and all-you-can-eat breakfast at resort. 7am, $11
Motel
Cabins
Nearby CGs
2 restaurants:  caf? downstairs and good Mt Thielsen dining room upstairs
Pizza parlor
Public laundry
Grocery store

FWIW,  Dr Bob