[pct-l] Packers

Sierra resupply strategy?

Here's what I saw.

Kennedy Meadows Store has a few basics. Ship here.  $2.00.  Shower $2.00.
Laundry $2.00.

Muir Ranch $25.00 package fee.  Never went there.  Might be worth it.  Can
a person resupply from the store in a pinch?

Vermillion, $15.00 now.  Expensive store but some basic supplies.  Buying
just enough for the next stop instead of sending a box$$$?
$16 boat ride across the lake or a six mile hike each way.  Great burgers
$9.00 plus tip.  Dinners $15.00.  Desserts include pie and ice cream, about
$6, I think.
Contraversy over hiker box items being sold in the store.  Other hiker box
items available(email me).  Very basic motel rooms with electricity until
the generator goes off (every night) $70.00 ? and need reservations.
Laundry $5.00.  Shower  $5.00.  Free bed for a night in tent cabins. I
liked the people. Lots of plusses with a few minuses?  Still it's available
in the middle of nowhere.  I spent $110.00 staying two nights in a free
bed.

Red's Medow, I believe there's a bus down to Mammoth

Lone Pine risky both ways for hitching.  Lodging almost double compared to
Independence.  Easy hitch north to independence.

I highly recommend Kersarge Pass.  Maybe just for the hiker experience.

Llamas?  Delivery service?
One hiker's husband packed in a resupply for her and her friend.

Other than that it's a good place to take a couple of days. They can be
enjoyable.
Easy pass compared to others.  Some nice little lakes to camp at on the
east side.  Fishing?  Great.  Best tasting (small Brookies) I had in the
whole Sierras.  The hitch down to Independence is relatively easy morning
to mid day.  Return?
We split a $40 ($10 each) from the owner fo the Whinadumah Hotel.  Similar
rides available.  Some hitched up without a problem.

In Independence:
You'll see I'm very pro Indepencence.  I was there a couple of days for
minor toe surgery.
No Laundrymat.
Post office and everything else right there.  You can see the whole town
from the middle of the street.
Reasonably priced restaurant closed, but there's a Subway and a grocery
store(with good soup, sandwich and a couple of small tables).
Easy hitch or Shuttles from THE street (395) north to Bishop (and south to
Lone Pine) a few times a day(schedule at the gas staton.)
Great sporting goods store in Bishop (Wilsons? or the other one) that will
change out your trekking pole tips for $16 (a lot of us needed that done
pretty badly).
Food, food, food, doctors, pediatrist.............it's a bigger town mostly
on the same street.

Lodging:

Whites Motel $50.00 is a congragating place for hikers.  They expect you to
do your laundry there.  The owners, very hiker friendly, supplied plates,
napkins, forks, knives and a grill for a BBQ.  Great meat counter at the
grocery store. Great hiker box.

Whinadumah, next door, private room and share a bath, $25.00.  Old place
with lots of character.  Quiet.  $5.00 very basic brunch thing.  Laundry
available if you and the person before you ask nicely.  Must also integrate
laundry into their own house keeping use. Nice family operation.  I stayed
here and spent some time next door at the White's, with the other hikers.

PCT