[pct-l] Heat Acclimatization and Training

On Dec 29, 2004, at 12:01 AM, Wayne Kraft wrote:
> That is, you train by replicating the specific conditions of your
> target event. [..]
> The trouble with training for a PTC border-to-border hike is that
> there's nothing specific about it.

Which is why I hiked on the AT from Springer to Davenport Gap
(just over 200 miles) in the three weeks
before the PCT kickoff last year.  The advantage of the AT in this
regard is that there is no need to do 15, 20, or 25 mile days.  You
can ramp up your days from 8 to 12 to 16 to 20 quite easily.  This is
much harder on the PCT mainly due to the water situation and less
frequent resupply options.  Of course a 15 mile day on the southern
AT is probably close to the same effort as a 20+ day on the PCT.

The AT can't emulate desert (other than sweating up the steep
trail!) but you can certainly find yourself in cold rain or snow
on the southern AT in late March and early April.

This is also a great way to give your gear/clothing
selection a workout and there are several good outfitters on the
southern AT so you can make adjustments as necessary.