[pct-l] Au Revoir Pink Motel

Because I left Lake Morena at noon on Saturday, and missed Meadow Ed's
stories of water, I did not know the Pink Motel existed.  After struggling  to
Cabazon to pick up supplies and struggling with rain to get back to the  Trail, I
walked through the desert.  Suddenly, there was the sign "Welcom  PCT Hikers",
followed shortly by a sign "No Trespassing."  I struggled with  the paradox
awhile and then headed up the road.  One of my fondest memories  of the Trail
was coming around to the back door, having it open a crack, and an  arm,
bearing a frosty beer, emerge... all attached to the warm smile of  Ian-the-Brit.
We sat through the afternorn and watched the storm rage  across the face of San
Jacinto, listening to the 1812 Overature on a portable  radio and the wind
wrestle across the windows and eaves of the house.

I will not miss the Mouse Olypics which kept me awake most of the night,  but
I WILL miss the feeling of peace and security and warmth (not to mention the
referigerator)  and the most marvelous view of a world of rock and snow and
wind and sand from the kitchen window of the Pink Motel.

"No Way" Ray  Echols