[pct-l] Lightest slimest altimeter watch? (NOT the Helix)

The least bulky wrist instrument with altimeter I've seen was an Avocet.
Met a hiker wearing it and quizzed him about it.  He was hiking with it for
the first time and
hadn't assessed the altimeter accuracy.  It appeared slightly slimmer than
the Helix, with other dimensions notably smaller.  Had a cushy looking band
that apperared to be a combination of fabric and neoprene, and spanned the
width of the watch case.

I've used a Helix for a year, when driving autos, and on about 18 hiking
days in the San Gabriels and Sierras.  It IS bulky.  I knew that wrist wear
would be uncomfortably sweaty/sticky with the supplied resin band, so
replaced it with a 1.75 inch-wide fabric webbing band ('The Band' brand).
That width is needed span the Helix case and the provide fabric-only skin
contact that is most comfortable for me.  Wrist wear with the webbing band
has been comfortable hiking vigorously all day.  The case is so thick that
long sleeves would certainly hang up on it, unless they were long enough to
be pulled over it and elastic to hold snugly around the wrist joint.  When
hiking with long sleeves I'll probably carry the watch attached to a pack
shoulder strap in some fashion (likely without the wrist band) or in a pack
pocket .

A thermometer in a watch of course doesn't read ambient air temperature when
worn on the wrist, and the Helix is no different than any other wrist
instrument in that respect.  (Mine reads consisistently te to three degrees
high off the wrist.)

Reading and resetting an altimeter on the wrist, even with with trekking
pole straps on the arms, is more convenient than fishing it out of a pack
pocket.  Operation of any chronometer, including the Helix, on the wrist is
very convenient.  They all have pushbuttons for start, stop, and 'lap' or
'split' operations.  Large buttons are the only thing facilitated by a large
watch case, such as the Helix'.  I've found its combo altimeter &
chronomoter function quite useful for hiking.  It records the elevation
change and the time duration between pushbutton punches.  I imagine other
wrist instruments may have the same combo function.  Using that function,
the chronometer can be started at the start of a hiking day, the split
button pushed at the beginning and end of each ascent, rest stop, and
descent; and the stop button pushed at the end of the day.  Later, at
liesure, the duration and elevation change of each 'lap' can be read.
Conveniently for hikers, the term on the Helix display is 'segment', not
lap.  For each segment the Helix shows in a single display the duration and
elevation gain (indicated by a + sign and the number of feet or meters) or
eleveation loss (indicated by a - sign and the numeric).  Little or no
elevation is displated by the Helix (or similar instrument) for rest stops
or trail sections that were net flat.  Segment durations and trail mileage
data can be used to calculate hiking speeds ascending, descending, flat,
morning, afternoon, etc.   Hiking rates may be trivia, but at times may be
useful.  Knowing recent individual rates may can be useful when, in the
afternoon, deciding whether there is enough time to safely (with some
margin) get over a particular pass and then down below some target
elevation.

On various drives and hikes, on segments with elevation changes of 1500~3000
ft., my Helix altimeter has has on about two-thirds of the occasions read
100~200 ft. too low at the end of ascents and 100~200 ft. too high at the
end of descents.  On the other one-third of occasions it has been accurate
within 30 ft. at the end of the elevation changes.  When hiking, I now
regard it as accurate within 200 ft. if reset every two hours or so.

You wrote that you want a watch with alarm function, so supposedly they can
awaken you.  Along with other wrist watches, the Helix alarm doesn't wake
me, even when in the pocket provided for a watch in a North Face sleeping
bag hood.  Helix price is attractive, and as another respondent wrote, the
instruction book IS hip.

Regards