[pct-l] More about dogs . . . and support for trail animals

Donna,

This was a very good and accurate post for those
considering bringing their dogs.  I've hiked a lot,
including long distances, with my dogs....though I
have never chosen to bring them on a trail longer than
one month.

For those intereseted:

I wanted to risk breaching the subject of dog
etiquette in the backcountry, a subject I once
researched and wrote an article about.  Just as there
is an unwritten, but critical, code of wilderness
ethics for people, there is also one for dogs.  The
"catch" is that your dog can't read or understand
this.....so, it is fully the owner's responsibility to
learn and apply.  ;-)

If you take your dog on any hikes in the backcountry,
I strongly encourage you to research dog etiquette.
It will mean a better experience for you, your dog,
wildlife, the trail, and other hikers.  There are
several books to choose from on the subject.  My
favorite is "A Guide to Backpacking with Your Dog" by
Charlene LaBelle.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0931866596/002-5054001-5463201?v=glance

Nocona