[BULK] - RE: [pct-l] Independent Hiking & Trail Angels

There's a fable I heard years ago that serves as a good lesson for
thru-hikers. I've heard it in several forms so I'll retell it in the form
I heard it first.

The scene is the gates to ancient Sparta.

Traveler 1:  "I've never been to Sparta before. What are the people like?"
Gatekeeper:  "Well, what are the people like in the town you come from?"
Traveler 1:  "They're good honest, generous, hard-working people."
Gatekeeper:  "You'll find the people of Sparta are like that too."

Traveler 2:  "I've never been to Sparta before. What are the people like?"
Gatekeeper:  "Well, what are the people like in the town you come from?"
Traveler 2:  "They're lazy and greedy. They cheat, steal and lie."
Gatekeeper:  "You'll find the people of Sparta are like that too."

-Karl

Karl Brandt PCT97
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/