[pct-l] Picking up mail when the PO is closed

I got the following private email from a future hiker.  I thought it was a good question which others might also be confused about.  With permission from Steve, here it is:

Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

First, LOVE the handbook. Great job and many thanks!

My question: Several places you mention Saturday pick up of mail. Your statement
is often something like "Saturday from approximately 1pm-3pm you may pick up
mail ONLY."

I find this ambiguous in that it could mean I can pick up mail (but not
packages) or I can only pick up, but not mail anything out.

Can you clarify this for me please? (I'm particularly interested in the case
with Idyllwild, and I'm hoping to pick up a resupply parcel).

Thanks very much!

My response:

That means that the PO is closed.  Post offices that are closed on Saturdays usually have someone there sorting the mail that arrived that day.  If the sorter is there, they will give you your mail (letters and packages).  But you cannot mail anything out.  Correction -- you could drop letters in the outgoing mail slot, or if you have a box which has prepaid postage, you could put it in the box drop. But there will not be a counter person there who can weigh your package and take money from you.

You usually have to knock on doors to get the Saturday mail sorter's attention.  If you're going to use this system to pick up mail, I suggest calling the PO from the previous town, just to check if someone will be there on Saturday.

If you're going to Idyllwild via Pines-to-Palms Highway (mile 153.7), you could call the PO from Warner Springs (mile 110.6).  If you're going to Idyllwild via Devil's Slide (mile 180.2), you could call the Idyllwild PO from the phone at the Paradise Cafe (mile 153.7).

There is a new Post Office service called "Click and Ship".  If you know the weight of your package, AND if it fits into their lobby drop box, you can go online and print a mailing label with postage (which you pay online via credit card).  So if a PO is closed, AND if it has a package drop box, AND if you can find internet service open, you could send packages that way.

Glad you like the book!

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com