[pct-l] Ice Axes,, Does length matter??

The case for a long ice axe -

I carried a 70cm and it is lighter than most 45 cm ones... the Camp XLA
210...  It was perfect.  And the extra length and weight is in the shaft -
which isn't very heavy at all.  So the difference between a xla 210 70 cm
and xla 210 45cm was very slight.

I didn't find a problem at all with it's length.  I didn't need it very much
though.  I liked being able to lean on it just a little... but then again, I
bet a short one would be fine too.

However, and remember this, when you are sitting on the toliet on top of mt
whitney, posing for a picture with your ice axe in hand.  Do you want a
little one or a big axe that screams "I'm King of this John!!!"  see!!  70cm
is the way to go.  (and when you do "take the sit" don't whimp out and keep
your pants on)

Mouse

<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] Ice Axes,, Does length matter??
>Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:46:32 -0800
>
>Good afternoon, Monte,
>
>Here is an alternate view on short ice axes.  I'm a hiker, not an ice
>climber. I have never belayed with mine except during practice, but if I
did
>have to belay a short handle would work OK in crusty, late season
snow-pack.
>I carry an ice axe only to chop an occasional set of steps, and for its
>comforting potential of self-arrest when the pucker-factor gets high.
>Otherwise the fool thing is strapped to the back of my pack and I use a
set
>of hiking poles.  My axe is 45 cm, which is perfectly good for arrest,
in
>fact I find that it is quicker and handier than the longer ones that I
have
>tried.  For chopping steps a short axe is not as handy as a long one
because
>it is necessary to bend over further, but I seldom chop more than 20
steps a
>year, while I carry it a good bit.  The 45 cm axe is about the same
length
>as my pack so it doesn't have it's spike sticking out the bottom
hanging-up
>every time I sit or remove the pack.  Besides, the thought of that spike
>hanging down there threatening the back of my legs, and my exhaust
system,
>is not very comforting.  I'm not altogether happy with it, though.
Someday
>I will find a lighter ... but still short ... replacement.
>
>Steel-Eye

Wood