[pct-l] April Kickoff and Gear Fair

Perhaps Switchback feels the unintended consequences of a
slippery slope, upon which certain gear manufacturers are
indeed allowed to hawk their wares at the Kickoff,
presumably for the benefit of the sellers (mostly former
thru-hikers) and fledgling thru-hikers alike. The premise,
one assumes, is that the thru-hikers - who knows - might
just be interested in spending money at the start of their
journey, maybe to improve the outfit with which they arrived
at Campo. Or maybe it won't improve their system in any
tangible way, but is all about the joy of niche-targeted
commerialism, a la any demographically-oriented trade
convention. Some people love this sort of thing, others
loathe it. But at current the reality is that a fair
exchange of goods is occuring at the Kick-off Parties, and
at some point an arbitrary cap on vendor services seems
likely to either bend under heavy demand or simply break in
favor of a commercial-free experience. Or maybe a lottery
system would keep the experience in check, as well as any
cronyism that might tend to occur as the event ages.

IMHO,
- blisterfree