[pct-l] prepreation for trip/Dan

Mark;

I suppose everyone may have a different take on this,
however, I can offer what I plan to do.

It takes me 6 weeks to get into "hiking shape".
Because I am planning on doing the PCT in 05 and we start
at the 3rd week of april, I have opted to do 5 weeks of
training and the 6th week, will start my hike.
5 weeks of training will all be done on Saturdays,
something like this. (no packs per say, just distance)

1- 4-5 hour hike. (<15 miles)
2 - 6 hour hike (18 miles)
3 - 7 hour hike (21 miles)
4 - 9 hour hike (27 miles)
5 - 10 hour hike (30 miles)
Since this is a no load hikes, I should be able to do 20
miles a day from the start...time will tell if my assumtion
is correct. about 4.5 months. :-)

-Mountain Goat-

(In regards to)

One plan of mine which I would like feedback on is to start
out hiking
about 10 miles a day and work my way up to 20+ miles a day.
My goal is
to be at 20 miles a day no later than 100 miles into the
hike. Does
that sound reasonable? My reasoning behind this is that no
matter how
much I prepare physically my body will not be accustomed to
hiking 20
miles a day every day and I don't want to hurt myself,
especially my
feet. And I understand that a lot of people overexert
themselves at the
beginning and their feet (and other parts) pay the price.