[pct-l] RE: DEET - where?

Hi Yogi,

I actually hiked with my headnet a lot further south.  I had both headnets
with me for a while.  I found the mosquito version more than adequate and a
lot cooler than the noseeum one.  Of course, I didn't get north of Whitney,
but I was dreading the bugs up there.

I think the mosquito one I had was a cheap Coughlan's one - it had a loose
elastic around the neck that I could use around my brow if I just wanted to
lift the headnet for short periods of time.

You could easily switch out for a noseeum one if you start to encounter the
smaller noseeums further north.  When I had both with me for a while, I
tried the noseeum one a few times but usually went back to the mosquito one.

I'm sure Yogi's experiences further north probably indicates a need for the
noseeum netting.

If you're more tolerant of the gnats than I am, you probably won't use the
netting as much as I did in the south and may not have to worry as much
about the ventilation issues.

As for deet - don't leave home without it...  :-)

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor