[pct-l] single wall tents & condensation

I realize it isn't the latest & coolest option currently
available, but the Jardine 1-person tarp & net-tent together
weigh in at around 26 ozs, and the combination offers the
equivalent of a double-walled shelter, with no exposure to
interior condensate or condensate run-off. The net-tent is
not very capacious, however it IS removeable and can be used
solely as a ground sheet when not requiring bug protection.
Either way, the original "ray way" tarp is sized very
generously - much more so than what GoLite currently sells
as the Cave model - and offers an incredible amount of dry
living & storage space. Like most true tarps, it's
adjustable in height and width, and can be arranged to block
wind from any side. The net-tent adjusts to match the tarp's
shape. And you can make the two of them for a fraction of
the cost of commercial equipment.

So why don't we hear more about this option? My guess is
that most are looking for a one-stop solution, rather than
the modular approach, and there's a sense that the set-up
process in this case is a bit complicated. True, it does
take a little while to erect a tarp correctly and then
arrange the netting tent beneath it. Pitching a tarp is a
skill, and even those who have this fairly basic skill will
tend to loathe putting it into action at the end of long
day - and day after day. Thus the eternal quest for a single
wall tent that pitches quickly and easily and which matches
the performance of a double wall tent. But while the search
is fun and challenging - and there are times when the
solutions of ultralight tent makers can be of great
benefit - it's still hard to imagine an alternative shelter
system that performs like a tarp & seperate interior netting
tent at such a low weight.

Edited the book. Gotta put in the plug. "The Ray-way Tarp
Book" www.adventurelore.com
- blisterfree