From: "Kraig Mottar" <kraig.mottar@verizon.net>
To: "yogi" <yogihikes@sbcglobal.net>; <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] PCT Financial Planning

> You've taken the illusion  that I am extremely wealthy, the absolute
opposite is true. And it is not what draws me to this, but perhaps an
unintended bonus? I think of the times I've wasted time, if I'd had money
earning interest.... Thought they weren't intentional wastes of time.

> The answer you gave to my question of "how do you become
> richer in not dollars?" is what I was looking for.
> That is what I want. Sounds like conversations with God. The world would
be better off if more people went to nature more often than to church for
this.
> I've always said, "nature is my cathedral". They are hours to days usually
less than a week that brought me to this conclusion. You've experienced it
more than I. Am I the first to come up with this phrase or to put it into
those 4 words?

> Kraig
>
> > I guess I just don't have the kind of money other people have.
> >
> > Wow, how do I find the words to answer "how do you become
> > richer in not dollars?"  Well, stand on the rim of Crater Lake with
> > your thru-hiker friends.  You've just walked 1800 miles.  You
> > stood on Forester Pass with some of these people.  One of them
> > helped you cross Bear Creek when the water deeper than your
> > legs are long.  You went thirsty with another on Hat Creek Rim.
> > You're following the chain of volcanoes up the west coast.  You
> > think back to the time you first saw Lassen.  And the time when
> > Lassen was behind you and Shasta was in front.  Then Shasta
> > was behind and McLoughlin was in front.  Now McLoughlin is
> > behind and you're at Crater lake. You know you'll keep following
> > the volcanoes for the next 800 miles until you get to the border.
> > All the while you're learning more about yourself and what you
> > are capable of accomplishing, both physically and mentally.
> >
> > And you become richer.
> >
> > yogi
> > www.pcthandbook.com
> >

> > Kraig Mottar <kraig.mottar@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Humor was not the goal.
> > Though, the interest grabbing scheme could work on hikes lasting longer
than 1 year. Also, it could help pay for unforseen expenses of hiking.
> > Though, how do you become richer in not dollars?
> >
> > Kraig
> >

> > > A normal to large sum in the bank? Earn enough interest to cover
thru-hiking expenses? That's funny!