[pct-l] planning ahead, but how thoroughly?

Hi Mark,

In my humble opinion, planning every campsite would
lead to a stressful, unenjoyable hike.  Even planning
one's campsite for a given day can lead to things you
might regret.  Planning is almost always helpful, but
sticking rigidly to plans would be anal.

Starting out slowly, 10 to 15 miles per day, is a good
thing.  Setting the goal for higher mileage is also a
good thing, actually essential.  But trying to reach
this goal after 100 miles is arbitrary, and likely not
a good thing.  Arbitrary goals are not consistent with
enjoyable thru hiking.  Make an effort to be fit ahead
of time, hike on each day with the body you bring, and
allow each day to unfold as it will.  Plan the number
of days it will take between re-supply stops so that
you don't get overloaded, and it will all work out.

All the best.  You can do this.

Larry H

--- Mark Wright <MarkWright@AboveCalifornia.com>

sherlock://www.AboveCalifornia.com/sherlock/SherlockChannel.xml?