[pct-l] planning ahead, but how thoroughly?

In a message dated 12/11/2004 8:36:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
MarkWright@AboveCalifornia.com writes:

> Looking for some trip planning suggestions here for a 2005 though hike.
> I'm wondering just how thoroughly I should plan things. For example,
> how far ahead do people plan their campsites?

I could look at the databook and have a fairly good idea of where I'd be
camping according to water sources (especially in the south) and mileage.

>From Campo to Kennedy Meadows is 700 miles.  Starting the last weekend in
April and using "Ray Day" or June 15th as a guideline and adjusting for a few
days off along the way and few at KM (to check out all the hikers) you only have
to average about 17 miles per day.

>From KM to Toulemne Meadows you could take 2 weeks and average 16 miles day.
Add a mile a day to your average and take a zero at Vermillion Valley Resort

Once you get to Toulemne Meadows which is ususally around 1st of July,
depending, you have 1730 miles to go and perhaps 90 days to do it.  Take 5-10 zero
days and you need to average 20-22 miles per day to finish.

Piece of cake!

Sly