[pct-l] planning ahead, but how thoroughly?

First, determine what style of hike you'd prefer. Get 'er
done or stop and smell the roses? Then set a target start
and finish date. Determine the mpd required to accomplish
this, and go on some training hikes at that level using the
gear you intend to carry.

When you feel confident about your prescribed mpd, break out
the planning materials: first, note the distance between
towns you plan to use for resupply. Break your hike into
town-to-town segments. Read up on the terrain and any other
mileage-influencing factors in each segment, including the
average weather and availability of water, and consider that
your mpd capabilities/desires will likely increase as the
hike progresses (you may start out below your average mpd,
but finish above it; still it's your average, so hold onto
it for reference).

Now figure out how many days you'll likely require between
each town-to-town segment. (# days x food/day = food/segment
to include in maildrops). Lastly, check the data book to see
where the water and potential campsites are located in each
segment. Highlight these locations. Use them as a guide
only. The reality is that it is neither possible, nor for
most desirable, to predict exactly where you'll thrown down
your bag each night.

- bf