[pct-l] PCT Origins

I just found this book here in Boulder for nine bucks! According to Joseph Hazard, the PCT was originally conceived in 1926 by a woman named Catherine Montgomery. The PCT was to be, in her words: ?A high trail winding down the heights of our western mountains, from the Canadian Border to the Mexican Boundary Line!? Also mentioned is the Mount Baker Club of Bellingham.

-Chuckie

In the book, Pacific Crest Trails, by Hazard, he reports that a woman in the Mt. Rainier, or Pacific Nth West, or (I forget the name right now) climbing club first suggested the idea of a trail stretching all of the way from the northern most tip of Alaska, down the Pacific coast mountains all of the way to the southern tip of Sth America. I don't recall that she hiked the equivalent of the PCT back then.  The first person ever to apparently hike from Canada to
Mexico in one calendar year was Martin Papendick in 1952.

Greg

HL  "theBull"

"No Way" Ray  Echols