[pct-l] Horses & Mules as pack-animals

Hi

I was hiking with my two dogs back east in the rolling hills of  Pennsylvania
several years ago. In AT Territory there was  about six inches of snow on the
ground and I was heading up from a gully when I  was startled by a deer herd
coming toward me at full speed they saw me they  were  able to break it by
sliding on their hunches and quickly took of to  my right. With in a few seconds
a fox repeated the same maneuver and with in  fifteen seconds a pack of
yelping Fox hounds came running toward me after the  fox. One of he hounds checks us
over and decided we were more sane and decided  to stay with us. The hounds
were followed by the noise of a  blasting trumpet and red coated fox hunters on
their mounts kicking up a  cloud of snow rectlessly flying down the gully
with trumpet  ablasting.

After it quitted down I surveyed the situation I still had my two dogs plus
the rebels fox hound. We continued up the hill and came to a road crossing.
The  Fox Hunters usually will post a mounted hunter to stop traffic. I explained
the  deserter hound and she took the hound and galloped away. One of plenty
long  lasting pleasant memories of the trail that money can't buy.

Lonetrail