[pct-l] Pack Design Help

Hey. I'm working on designing a pack that is similar to the Gossamer
Gear G4, but with a map pocket of sorts on one side. I was planning on
making it fit a regular map and compass, but then I realized that odds
are good that those are not what I would be using during the trip.

This question goes out to past thru-hikers. What did you use as a map
during the trek, and was there anything that you kept with it? I'm
thinking about making it fit the cut-up guidebook sections, but I am
not sure if it should fit them, the databook, and yogi's little book,
something else altogether, or just the guidebook sections.

Feel free to think outside of the box. The real question is, if you
had one pocket that was really easy to access with the pack on, what
would you put in it, assuming you had another that was much bigger and
fairly easy to access with the pack on.

Hope that makes sense. If not, ask me what I am driving at, and I'll
be glad to try to explain further what I want this pocket to be.

Thanks

-mike

---