[pct-l] Hands-Free Umbrella Holder

There might be smarter solutions, but this one works for me just great at
under 3 ounces for the holder.

1.  GoLite umbrella with SpaceBlanket covering.
2.  Go to hardware store and get foam pipe installation tubing and a 3/8 inch
wood dowel.
3.  Cut the dowel and foam about 4-6 inches longer than the end of the
straight umbrella handle.  This is so you have easy attachment points on your
shoulder strap.
4.  Duct tape dowel to foam tube.  By the way, get the thicker foam tube.
There is a thinner type too.  Duct tape a lot along the tube.  If you do not,
sometimes when you put the umbrella handle down the tube, you bust out the
sides.
5.  Get some mini bungie cords at the hardware store too.  Experiment on
where to attach the hook ends around the top of the tube and then Velcro/duct tape
them securely.
6.  When you place your umbrella handle down into the tube you then attach
the free ends of the mini bungies around the inside of the umbrella spines.
This keeps the umbrella from blowing out of the tube in wind gusts.  It is pretty
tight anyway, but trust me about the wind being able to lift the umbrella up
and out.
7.  Adjust the tube up and down your shoulder strap with Velcro straps until
you get the proper coverage for visibility and protection for that particular
day.  Change shoulder straps as needed.

One thing, I use 3 Velcro straps to really lock the tube on the shoulder
strap.  These are infinitely adjustable straps and I do not remember where I got
them.  Also, use your shoulder strap sternum strap across your chest to lock
the tube even more securely.

You might "feel" the holder through the shoulder strap, but it has never
really bothered me.  You just bang along the trail protected from radiation (95%),
snow (85%), and rain (75%), in varying degrees.  I have been in all of them.
You say to yourself, "It sure looks bad out there.  I am glad I am in here"

Happy trails, Switchback