[pct-l] Nuplse North Face Jacket

> I been thinking of buying the Nuptse North Face Jacket for winter
> backpacking in temperature as low as say  5 degrees. Any one experience  this jacket for
> cold cold nights in the mountains. I expect it to act also as a  wind breaker.

Years ago I had a TNF Nuptse Jacket.  It was indeed pretty warm.  I
wouldn't want to backpack in it in 5F degree weather... I would be
sweating up a storm, but it would be comfy once I stopped.  My memory
is that it was only moderately wind resistant.  This didn't matter for
me because it was normally under a Mountain Light Gore-Tex shell.  If
you are expecting wind, I would make sure to have something that is
really windproof. When it's 5F and you have a 30mph wind it's like the
temp is -41F.  This is a hoodless jacket... make sure you have
something to keep your neck / head warm.

I mostly used a Nuptse Jacket when skiing in bitter cold.  For
extended backpacking trips I prefer polarguard or primaloft as
insulation since you don't have to worry about losing loft due to
perspiration (or other sources of wetness).  If facing serious cold I
want something with a good hood so my neck / head are well protected.
When *hiking* in 5F weather I am likely to be wearing something
lighter like either Patagonia R.5 + Montbell Thermawrap Vest +
Patagonia Essenshell Pullover + Hat or maybe a R.5 + ArcTeryx MX +
Hat.  I would also have a Patagonia Micro Puff which gets layered over
the top for stops and the night time.

--Mark