[pct-l] Trail Partners 2005 ???

>>I am  wondering about hooking up with possible trail
>>partners in 2005

Don, I posted this blurb last month. I think it
applies to your sitaution.  I will briefly add that
the KOP is a great place to meet potential partners.
It can be overwhelming though if you are like me and
do not like hiking in a huge pack. The KOP is great if
you are into more a more social hike. YYMV:

On to the post!

Rather than seeking a partner ahead of time, I think
it is better to have a loose partnership on the trail.
Unless you start the PCT paricularly early or late,
you will find people who match your personality, pace,
hiking style, etc. If you are looking to hike with
somone, they will be there!

It is hard, if not almost impossible, to find a
compatiable hiking partner on the Internet. Planning
to hike with someone for 4-5 mos can lock you into
something that may or may not work out. If you have a
loose partnership with someone that you met on the
trail you can hike through (for example) the
desert together. When your partner needs to re-supply
where you don't, you are free to move on.  You will
then meet someone else.

Trust me, you'll meet someone (or a few) people who
you'll enjoy hiking with.  You may hike with this
person for a day, a week or a month. But, when your
plans are no longer coinciding, you have the freedom
to move or or stay in town as need be.

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com