[pct-l] Outdoor Quotes (long)

I maintain a Yahoo group for my outdoor group. Each
e-mail (2x a week) has a quote. Some I've cribbed from
this list, some from books I've read, some from other
outdoor lists, etc. Anyway, maybe you will enjoy the
quotes.  Sources include the Bible, Talmudic text,
Buddhist writiing, Ed Abbey, Yogi Berra..etc..etc.
Some are meant for a specific day of the year (i.e.
holidays) Whatever looks good to me. :-) (Ecclectic
atheist I am!)  Enjoy!

Life should be an unfinished business.

-Colin Fletcher, RIVER

"What is Tao?" Master Ummon replied: "Walk On".

Ask for the ancient paths where the good way is;

and walk in it and find rest for your souls.

-Jeremiah 6:16

When you arise in the morning, think of what a
precious privilege it
 is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to
love.

-Marcus Aurelius

When you get to a fork in the road, take it.

-Yogi Berra

May the stars light your way and may you find the
interior road.

Forward!

-traditional Irish farewell

They make a desert and they call it peace.

-Tacitus

Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we
shouldn't
have been, without knowing where that was.

-- T. Morris Longstreth, guidebook writer for
Catskills and the 'Daks

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest
wilderness.

- John Muir

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
This is not done by jostling on the street.

-William Blake

It's designed to break your heart. The game begins in
the spring,
 when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in
the summer,

filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon
as the chill rains come, it stops, and leaves you to
face the fall alone.

-A. Bartlett Giamatti, Baseball Commissioner

If you do not know where you are going, then any road
will take you
 there. --Yiddish Proverb

The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to
taste experience
to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear
for newer and

richer experiences --Eleanor Roosevelt.

Without question, the greatest invention in the
history of mankind is
 beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine
invention, but
 the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
--Dave Barry

The path to our destination is not always a straight
one, Ed. We go
 down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe
it doesn't
 matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is
that we embark.

--Leonard to Ed, NORTHERN EXPOSURE

Life is too short for grief. Or regret. Or bullshit.

--Ed Abbey

Life is meant to be lived, not survived.

--CDT "thru-hiker" on HOW TO HIKE THE CONTINENTAL
DIVIDE TRAIL video

A near tragedy: the first week out on the expedition
someone lost the
 bottle opener, and for the rest of the trip we had to
subsist on food and water.

—W.C. FIELDS

Salvitor Ambulando (It is solved by walking)

--Latin Proverb

"Hey Yogi, I think we're lost."

Yogi Berra - "Ya, but we're making great time!"

All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me

rejoice like a child.

--Madame Curie

Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible.

-Shakespeare, JULIUS CAESAR

Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

--Douglas Adams, HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

Here I am safely returned over those peaks from a

journey far more beautiful and strange then anything I

had hoped for or imagined.

How is it that this safe return brings such regret?

--Peter Matthiessen

We cannot see anything until we are possesed with the

idea of it, take it into our heads, and then we can

hardly see anything else.

--Thoreau

Afoot and light hearted I take to the open road,

Healthy, free, the world before me,

The long brown path leading wherever I choose.

--Walt Whitman, opening lines to SONG OF THE OPEN ROAD

The imagination may be compared to Adam's dream:

He awoke and found it truth.

--John Keats, in a letter written to a friend

Everything to Excess! To enjoy life take big bites.

Moderation is for monks.

--Robert A. Heinlein; said by alter-ego "Lazarus Long"

And the Lord said unto Satan, "Where comest thou?"

Then Satan answered the Lord and said, "From going to

and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down in
it."
 --—JOB 1:7

I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
the
rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me
and
 sivilize me and I can’t stand it. I been there
before.
 --Mark Twain, HUCKLEBERRY FINN

There’s something wrong with a society that
drives a car to work out in a gym.

-BILL NYE, The Science Guy,

The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what
is always
 beyond reach; its is also an expression of loyalty to
the earth...

the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we
ever need --if only we had the eyes to see it.

-Ed Abbey

The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have
promises to keep,
 and miles to go before I sleep...

- Robert Frost

"Work sucks! I'm going to the mountains."

-As seen on a t-shirt

Come away, O human child!

To the waters and the wild

With a faery, hand in hand,

For the world's more full of weeping

Than you can understand.

--Yeats, THE STOLEN CHILD

This land is your land, this land is my land

>From California, to the New York Island

>From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters

This land was made for you and me

--Woodie Guthrie

Zen Master to hot dog vendor - "Make me one with
everything..."

Nature is indifferent to our love, but never
unfaithful -Ed Abbey

I want to see what’s on the other side of the
hill—then what is beyond that.

—Emma ‘Grandma’ Gatewood, at age 67
first woman to   thru-hike the Appalachian Trail
(1955)

Be open to your dreams, people. Embrace that distant
shore.
Because our mortal journey is over all too soon.

–Chris Stevens, NORTHERN EXPOSURE

Take nothing for granted. Not one blessed, cool
mountain day or
 one hellish, desert day or one sweaty, stinky, hiking
companion. It is all a gift.

—Cindy Ross, JOURNEY ON THE CREST

We shall not cease from exploration,

and the end of all our exploring

will be to arrive where we started

and know the place for the first time.

-T.S. Elliot

What do you suppose will satisfy the soul, except to

walk free and owe no superior?

--Walt Whitman

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare
feet and the
 winds long to play with your hair.

—-Kahil Gibran, THE PROPHET

The flowers bloom, the songbirds sing,

and though it be sun or rain,

I walk the mountaintops with spring

from Georgia north to Maine.

—-Earl Shaffer,first thru-hiker of the AT.
Finished Aug 5, 1948

THIS IS WHAT YOU SHALL DO: Be loyal to what you love,
be true to
 the earth,fight your enemies with passion and
laughter.

—Ed Abbey

We shall be known by the tracks we leave behind.
-Dakota proverb

Weep, all ye little rains

Wail, winds, wail,

All along, along, along

The Colorado Trail.

--from the Colorado Trail (traditional cowboy song)

Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink
the drink,
taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences
of each.

-- Thoreau

It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it
shows us how
 few things we need in order to be perfectly happy.
 —--Horace Kephart

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a dark side. It
has a light side.

It holds the universe together. --Anon.

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should
fear never beginning to live.

-Marcus Aurelius

As I walk, As I walk

The Universe is walking with me.

--from Navajo rain dance ceremony

You say the hill's too steep to climb,

Climb it!

You say you'd like to see me try,

Climb it!

You pick the place and I'll choose the time

And I'll climb

The hill in my own way

--Pink Floyd, FEARLESS

Look to this Day! For it is Life, the very Life of
Life.

--from the Sanskrit SALUTATION OF THE DAWN

Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be
less tedious.

--Virgil, ECOLOUGES

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

There's a race of men that don't fit in,

A race that can't sit still,

So they break the heart of kith and kin

And they roam the world at will...

They range the field and rove the flood,

And they climb the mountain's crest,

Theirs is the curse of gypsy blood,

And they don't know how to rest

--Robert Service aka "The Poet of the Yukon", THE MEN
THAT DON'T FIT IN

...Nature, who is superior to all style and ages, is
now, with pensive
 face, composing her poem Autumn, with which no work
no will be to

be compared.

--Thoreau, A WEEK ON THE CONCORD AND MERIMACK RIVERS

For afterwards a man finds pleasure in his pains,

when he has suffered long and wandered long.

So I will tell you what you ask and seek to know.

--Homer, THE ODYSSEY

Pain is mandatory. Misery is optional.

--Anon.

You can observe a lot by watching. --Yogi Berra

It's the same with white people. They cleared the
forest, they dug up the land,

and they gave us the flu. But they also brought power
tools and penicillin

and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. –Marilyn
Whirlwind, NORTHERN EXPOSURE

...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
may act out
 their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

--T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia), SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM

We wanted to make good time, with the emphasis on good
and not time.

-Pirsig, ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE

I've never been lost, but I've been a mite bewildered
for a few days.

--Daniel Boone

Glorious it is when wandering time has come.

--from an Inuit song

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. -Sir
Edmund Hillary.

>From ghoulies and ghosties

And long-leggedy beasties

And things that go bump in the night,

Good Lord, deliver us!

--Scottish saying

The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on.

--Arab proverb

Why wilderness? Because we like the taste of freedom;
because we like the smell of danger.

--Edward Abbey

You road I enter upon and look around,

I believe you are not all that is here,

I believe much unseen is also here

--Walt Whitman, from SONG OF THE OPEN ROAD

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things

that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So
throw off the

bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the
trade winds

in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

--Mark Twain

We find after years of struggle that we do not take a
trip; a trip takes us.

--John Steinbeck, TRAVELS WITH CHARLIE

Its pretty far, but it doesn't seem like it.
-–Yogi Berra

Benedicto: May your trails be crooked, winding,
lonesome, dangereous,

leading to the most amazing view. --Ed Abbey

Then here's a hail to each flaming dawn

And here's a cheer to the night that's gone

And may I go a roaming on

... until the day I die

--On a grave marker in the Adirondacks

We celebrate not the trail, but the wild places it
passes through.

--Ray Jardine

Be a half-assed crusader, a part-time fanatic.
Don’t worry too much about the fate of

the world. Saving the world is only a hobby. Get out
there and enjoy the world, your

girlfriend, your boyfriend, husbands, wives; climb
mountains, run rivers, get drunk,

do whatever you want to do while you can, before
it’s too late.

--Ed Abbey

Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get.

--Robert A. Heinlein; said by alter-ego "Lazarus Long"

Happy the man, and happy he alone,

He, who can call today his own:

He who, secure within, can say,

Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today!

--Horace

If you stand, stand. If you sit, sit. But don't
wobble!

--Zen Master Ummon

Perhaps what most moves us in the winter is some
remeniscence of

far off summer. How we leap by the side of open
brooks! What
beauty on the running brooks! What life! What society!
The cold is merely superficial; it is summer still at
the core,

far,far within.  --Thoreau

Carefully observe the way your heart draws you and
then choose
 that way with all your strength. --Hasidic saying

...who can say where a voyage starts - not the the
actual passage
 but the dream of a journey and its urge to find a
way?

--William Least Heat Moon, RIVER HORSE

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I
want to think,
all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to
read, and all the friends I want to see. --John
Burroughs

Does the road wind uphill all the way?

Yes, to the very end.

Will the journey take the whole long day?

>From morn to night, my friend.

--Christina Rossetti, UPHILL

Our eyes may see some uncleaness,

But let our mind not see things that are not clean,

Our ears may hear some uncleaness,

But let not our mind hear things are are not clean.

--Shinto prayer

On the trail marked with pollen, may I walk.

With grasshoppers about my feet, may I walk.

With dew about my feet, may I walk.

With beauty, may I walk.

--Navajo prayer

For you shall go out with joy, be led forth with
peace;

The mountains and the hills shall break forth before
you into singing,

and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

-- Isaiah 55:12

No one goes there anymore. Its too crowded! --Yogi
Berra

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the
world.

—-John Le Carre

The man with the knapsack is never lost. No matter
whither he may stray, his food

and shelter are right with him, and home is wherever
he may choose to stop.

—-Horace Kephart

Most people are pantywaists. Exercise is good for you!

—-Emma ‘Grandma’ Gatewood, at age 67
first woman to thru-hike

the Appalachian Trail (1955)

There are three great times of thinking:

On the john, in the shower, and while walking.

And the greatest of these is walking...

--Colin Fletcher, THE COMPLETE WALKER

Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke.

--Lynda Barry

There are none happy in the world but beings who enjoy
freely a vast horizon.

--Thoreau

"The world looks brand-new," said Hobbes.

"A New Year ... a fresh clean start," said Calvin.

"It's like having a big white sheet of paper to draw
on," said Hobbes.

"A day full of possibilities," said Calvin.

"It's a magical world, Hobbes old buddy ... let's go
exploring."

--last words of the CALVIN AND HOBBES comic strip

Our suicidal poets (Plath, Berryman, Lowell, Jarrell,
et al.) spent too much of their

lives inside rooms and classrooms when they should
have been trudging up

mountains, slogging through swamps, rowing down
rivers. The indoor life is the

next best thing to premature burial.

--Ed Abbey

Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Always Free)

--West Virginia state motto

I am one of you no longer; by the trails my feet have
broken,

The dizzy peaks I’ve scaled, the camp-fire’s
glow;

By the lonely seas I’ve sailed in—

yea, the final word is spoken,

I am signed and sealed to nature. Be it so.

—-Robert Service, from THE RHYME OF THE
REMITTANCE MAN

The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast and you miss all

that you are traveling for. --Louis L'Amour

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for
the future of the human race.

—-H.G. Wells

Wander a whole summer if you can. The time will not be
taken from the sum of life.

Instead of shortening, it will indefinitely lengthen
it and make you truly immortal.

--John Muir

May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon
on a dark night,

and the road downhill all the way to your door.

--Irish blessing

Give me the splendid silent sun with all his beams
full-dazzling.

-- Walt Whitman, LEAVES OF GRASS

As long as I live, I'll hear waterfalls and birds and
winds sing. I'll interpret

the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the
avalanche. I'll acquaint

myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as
near the heart of the world

as I can. -- John Muir

It is in our nature to explore, to reach into the
unknown.

The only true failure would be not to explore at all.

--Sir Ernest Shackleton

The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving

safely, in one handsome and well-preserved piece. You
should slide broadside

across that finish line, thoroughly used up, worn out,
leaking oil, and

shouting 'Geronimo!'

--Unknown

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing
something completely pointless.

--Calvin from the CALVIN AND HOBBES comic strip

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get
there some day.

--Winnie the Pooh

Calories, carbohydrates and pain killer all rolled
into one. A hiker's best friend!

-- Thru-hiker referring to beer on the DVD "REALLY
LIVIN'"

It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it
is the journey that matters in the end.

-- Ursula K. LeGuin

The tragedy of modern man is not that he knows less
and less about the meaning of his own

life, but that it bothers him less and less.  --Vaclav
Havel

I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,

I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

- Walt  Whitman

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of
them are dirt.

--Anon.

And of what value was the journey? It is as well for
those who ask such questions

that there are others who feel the answer and never
need to ask.

-- Wally Herbert, polar explorer

I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to
stay out till
sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

--John Muir

Let us probe the silent places, let us seek what luck
betide us;

Let us journey to a lonely land I know.

There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star
agleam to guide us,

And the Wild is calling, calling. . . let us go.

--Robert Service, THE CALL OF THE WILD

It is not down in any map; true places never are.

--Herman Melville, MOBY DICK

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or

we find it not. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everyone comes back. It makes no difference how far we
wander, we
always have our country, our land, in our souls and
our minds.

--Ruben Blades

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river
runs through it. The river

was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks
from the basement of

time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops.
Under the rocks are the

words, and some of the words are theirs.  I am haunted
by waters.

--Norman Maclean, A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the
human spirit.

--Ed Abbey

Running provides happiness which is different from
pleasure.

Happiness has to do with struggling and enduring and
accomplishing.

--George Sheehan

...for there is no opiate like Alpine pedestrianism.

--Mark Twain, A TRAMP ABOARD

I learned early that the richness of life is found in
adventure. Adventure calls on all

the faculties of mind and spirit. It develops
self-reliance and independence. Life then

teems with excitement. But man is not ready for
adventure unless he is rid of fear. For

fear confines him and limits his scope. He stays
tethered by strings of doubt and

indecision and has only a small and narrow world to
explore.

--William O. Douglas, OF MEN AND MOUNTAINS

Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,

A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse--and Thou

Beside me singing in the Wilderness--

And Wilderness is Paradise enow.

--Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last
endeavour.

--Sir Ernest Shackleton

..there is always a Land of Beyond for those who are
true to the trail.

--Robert Service

Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with
one's clothes,

and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the
battered spirit.

A few of those days and you can become drunk with the
belief that all's

right with the world.  --Ada Louise Huxtable

I know dark clouds will gather o'er me

I know my pathway's rough and steep

But golden fields lie out before me

Where weary eyes no more shall weep

-- THE WAYFARING STRANGER (Traditional)

The mind and body do not necessarily have to follow
the the same path.

--Anon.

Surely the true path is to dive deep into nature.

--Vincent Van Gough

Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in
the mountains.

It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like
proving a unified field

theory, mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the
perfect cup of coffee,

the game can never be won. -- Smoke Blanchard

Not all who wander are lost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

...never easy, often painful, but always rewarding.

--from the Colorado Trail data book

What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And
joy
 is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat
and make money. We eat and make

money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life
means and what life is for.

--George Mallory, on climbing Mount Everest

A traveler. I love his title. A traveler is to be
reverenced as such.

His profession is the best symbol of our life. Going
from--toward;
 it is the history of every one of us.

-- Thoreau

A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off
on their own,

and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let
them take risks, for godsake,

let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten
by bears, buried alive

under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of
any free American.

--Ed Abbey

Do not look to the ground for your next step;
greatness lies with those who look to

the horizon. --Norwegian Proverb

To travel, to experience and learn; that is to live.

-- Tenzing Norgay

Far away there in the sunshine are my highest
aspirations. I may not reach them, but I

can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and
follow where they lead.

-- Louisa May Alcott

Everything else being equal,choose a john with a view.

-- Colin Fletcher

Live well. It is the greatest revenge.

--The Talmud

The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the
sound of it,
 but you do not know where it comes from or where it
goes.

--John 3:8

Remember that nature and the elements are neither your
friend or your enemy;

they are actually disinterested.

--Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76
"Survival" Oct. 1970

Travelling is a brutality. It forces you to trust
strangers and to
lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and
friends. You are

constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the
essential things - air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the
sky; all things tending towards

the eternal or what we imagine of it.  --Cesare Pavese

SEPT 3 04

Live Simply so that others may simply live.
~Elizabeth Ann Seton.

SEPT 10 04

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it

attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir
(1838-1914)

SEPT 14 04

We should eat all our food so we shan't have to carry
it. --Winnie the Pooh

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was
on me, I was assured by mature

people that maturity would cure this itch. When years
described me as mature, the remedy

prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured
that greater age would calm my fever

 and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will
do the job. Nothing has worked. ...

In other words, I don't improve, in further words,
once a bum always a bum.

I fear the disease is incurable. -- John Steinbeck,
TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY

Nobody seems more obsessed by diet than our
antimaterialist, otherworldly, New Age,

spiritual types. But if the material world is merely
illusion, an honest guru should

be as content with Budweiser and bratwurst as with raw
carrot juice, tofu, and

seaweed slime. --Ed Abbey

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.

--Albert Camus

When despair grows in me and I wake in the middle of
the night at the

least sound in fear of what my life and my children's
lives may be,

I go and lie down where the wood drake

rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron
feeds.

I come into the peace of wild things

who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.

I come into the presence of still water.

And I feel above me the day-blind stars

waiting for their light.

For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am
free.

--Wendell Berry, THE PEACE OF WILD THINGS

Strange the faithless fuss made about taking a walk in
the safest and pleasantest

of all places, a wilderness. --John Muir

Life is cruel? Compared to what?

--Ed Abbey

OCT 12 04

I was the world in which I walked.

--Wallace Stevens, TEA AT THE PALAZ OF HOON

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!

Though wind may blow and rain may fall.

We must away ere the break of day.

Far over wood and mountain tall.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, LORD OF THE RINGS

It is always there, of course, when you come back from
the green world. You have been living by sunrise and
sunset, by wind and rain, surrounded by the

ebb and flow of lives that respond only to such
simple, rhythmic elements. But now the tone and tempo
of the days switch. Instead of harmony, jangle.

--Colin Fletcher, WINDS OF MARA

It is a great art to saunter.

--Thoreau

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not
possible.  --Frank Zappa

Hark! Hark to the wind! 'Tis the night, they say,

When all souls come back from the far away-

The dead, forgotten this many a day!

--Virna Sheard

Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate
yourself to walk very far.

--Thomas Jefferson

...as everyone knows, meditation and water are wedded
forever.

--Herman Melville, MOBY DICK

The sun is slowly sinkin'

The day is almost gone

Still darkness falls around us

And we must journey on

--DARKEST HOUR IS JUST BEFORE DAWN (Traditional)

For as I far as I can see, the canyon country of
southern Utah extends in all directions. No compass
can orient me here, only a pledge to love

and walk the terrifying distances before me. What I
fear and desire most in the world is passion. I fear
it because it promises to be spotaneous,

out of my control, unnamed, beyond my reasonable self.
I desire it because passion has color, like the
landscape before me. It is not pale. It is

not nuetral. It reveals the backside of the heart.

--Terry Tempest Williams, RED

I'm drunk on the fiery elixer of beauty.

--Everett Ruess, VAGABOND FOR BEAUTY

There is something in the country...in the vastness
and emptiness of it, that

resists knowing, --Rob Schultheis, THE HIDDEN WEST

Talk of mysteries! Think of our life in nature - daily
to be shown matter,
 to come in contact with it, rocks, trees, wind on our
cheeks, the solid

earth! the actual world! the common sense! Contact!
Contact!

--Thoreau, KTAADN

Hunger makes the best sauce. --Anon.

Oh! the snow, the beautiful snow, Filling the sky and
earth below, Over the

housetops, over the street, Over the heads of the
people you meet.

Dancing, Flirting, Skimming along.

--J.W.Watson

There is a privacy about it which no other season
gives you....

In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open
season on each other;

only in the winter, in the country, can you have
longer, quiet stretches when

you can savor belonging to yourself. -- Ruth Stout

My latest sun is sinking fast

My race is nearly run

My longest trials now are past

My triumph has begun

--ANGEL BAND (Traditional)

It's a fool's life, a rogue's life, and a good life if
you keep laughing
all the way to the grave.
--Ed Abbey

In every walk with nature one receives far more than
he seeks.

--John Muir

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them

--A. A. Milne, EEYORE from WINNIE THE POOH

The problem of living is at bottom an economic one.
And this alone is bad enough,
even in a period of so-called "normalcy." But living
has been considerably complicated
of late in various ways - by war, by questions of
personal liberty, and by "menaces"
of one kind or another.
--Benton Mackaye, 1921, AN APPALACHIAN TRAIL: A
PROJECT IN REGIONAL PLANNING

Learn the rules, so you can break them properly. --The
Dalai Lama

We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that
suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,
character; character, hope. And hope does
not disappoint us. --Romans 5:3-5

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com