[pct-l] Bush is my shepherd

I will stay out of the political comments and just point out one simple thing
in this society that all geologists know and consider;

EVERYTHING that is in your home, on your body, that makes up this computer
and your car and your ice axe and your pack and your jewelry and your bicycle
and in your stomach and inside your brain came directly or indirectly from the
earth.  The ONLY thing in this room now that doesn't come directly or
indirectly from the earth is the sunlight that is shining in through my window and the
heat that it generates.

This, of course, means that we consume from the earth and extractive
industries are NECESSARY for our society to exist.

We must just be careful how we extract and what we put back into the earth
and the air and water.  The more efficient we are in all things the better off
we will be and longer the stewardship of the earth for future generations will
last.

Us backpackers tend to understand minimalist principles pretty well.
However, if you wear or use nylon products and aluminum products and titanium
products and wool products and leather products and rubber products then you are a
consumer.  The balance is a tenuous one between consumption and stewardship.
Humans tend to be greedy and not consider future generations with any
significant value.

Greg

Remember when you're feeling very small and insecure
how amazingly unlikely is your birth . . .
and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
cause there's damn near none here on earth!
                               Monty Python "The Meaning of Life"